It is starting to feel like summer is finally here! The clouds are gone, the skies are clear and had the opportunity to spend the day by the water. It was no surprise that we found our inspiration all around us: blue.
The Meaning of Blue:
Blue is the coolest of the colours – the colour of the sky, ocean, sleep, and twilight. It has various meanings including: protection, health, confidence and strength. A pure blue is the colour of inspiration, sincerity and spirituality. Dark blue is the colour of truth and moderation and is often the chosen colour by conservative parties. Light blue the symbol of youth and the colour of communication. Blue is the calming colour, making it ideal to use in the home to create a soothing environment.Â A blue iris means your friendship is very important to me.
A universal favorite of men and women, in diverse cultures blue is significant in religious beliefs, brings peace, or is believed to keep the bad spirits away. Blue conveys importance and confidence without being somber or sinister, hence the blue power suit of the corporate world and the blue uniforms of police officers. Long considered a corporate colour, blue, is associated with intelligence, stability, unity, and conservatism. In the Western world the “something blue” of bridal tradition represents love.
- A deep royal blue conveys richness and perhaps even a touch of superiority
- Navy Blue is almost black and is a bit warmer than lighter blues
- Combine a light and dark blue to convey trust and truthfulness
- Although blue is a year-round colour, pastel blue, especially along with pinks and pale yellows suggest Springtime while deep blue is a colder weather colour
- Create a conservative but sophisticated look with subtle contrast by combining light and dark shades of blue
Using Blue with Other Colours:
- Mix the colour of blue with green for a natural, watery palette
- Add gray for understated elegance
- Light brown, tans, or beige are environmentally friendly colour combinations
- Throw in a dash of blue to cool down a hot red or orange scheme
- Grab attention with the contrast of blue and yellow
- Dark blue or navy with white is fresh, crisp, and nautical
- Red, white, and blue is a patriotic colour trio for many countries, including the United States
- Use dark blue with metallic silver accents for an elegantly rich appearance